Saturday, March 20, 2010

Starting Out

Week 1
Here we go! This is my first post and I am kind of nervous. I've never blogged before, and I'm not so sure I'm as witty and wordy as those who do this regularly, but we are excited to share our experiences and journey with our family and friends!
Our Story
For almost two years now, Robbie and I have been praying that God would use us in missions. We have had many family and friends journey through this time in our lives with us. While we were on a leader's retreat with Young Life this February, we shared our prayer request with the other leaders. Our prayer was that we would be patient with God, and trust in His perfect timing for our lives. We have had a strong desire to live and serve somewhere other than Minnesota, but we also didn't want to just jump into something for the sake of doing it. On our car ride home from the leader's retreat, a friend of ours, Joanie, told us that she had been to the Dominican Republic for a work crew trip (as a volunteer), and thought that we would be a perfect fit at the school there (Doulos Discovery School). We were excited to listen to her stories, and as soon as we got home, we checked out the school's website. After reading about their history and mission, I was so excited and almost on the verge of tears! It seemed like such a great fit for us. To make this long story a bit shorter...this Tuesday we had an interview with the Director of Doulos (Krista Wallace). Again, I was almost brought to tears as we met for the first time. She walked in the door to Panera, and as I walked toward her to introduce myself and shake her hand, she just reached out and gave me, and then Robbie, great big hugs. What a welcoming way to join the Doulos family! We spent the next three hours praying, learning, and talking with Krista about life in the DR.
We are now working on wrapping our heads around what to do first, next, ahh! This is going to be an amazing adventure, and we are both so excited for what God has in store for our lives. Robbie took Spanish in High School, so he has some background, but I don't know much at all! One of our first steps is to start practicing. Right now he is using Byki to practice on our computer, and we have talked about renting some CD's from the library to listen to on our 2 hour commute to/from work. We also have some friends who have offered to help tutor us! Thank You! We also will be working on a budget for when we live there, as we will be fundraising money for our salaries. This is also something new for us--PRAYERS are welcome! Robbie and I will be raising full support for our 2 years in the Dominican, and we know that God will provide. We appreciate prayers and advice from those who may have experience doing this!

We thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers! If you would like to get together to chat more about our adventure let us know we would love to fill you in with more details!
Much LOVE,
Meghan and Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment