Today was our first day of school! What an interesting one at that!
We feel like through all things we are learning humility here. Through the daily grind of getting rides places, having conversation while eating breakfast or dinner with our host family, having people help us find places we could rent (which also involves them communicating/translating and driving)--we are feeling that as of right now, we have little to offer this culture and our new friends. We know this will change with time, but ultimately we are feeling humbled in our positions of reliance on others.
This does connect to our first day of school...we promise....
7:00am--Meghan finds out that her teaching assistant has pink eye, and won't be able to help teach-not to worry-another assistant fills in!!!
8:00--School Starts! We met in the amphitheater with all of the students in the school K-12 for announcements, a quick skit, and prayer.
8:00-3:00--School Day! Written from Meghan's Perspective:
I felt like today humility was something that was prevalent throughout the day. I have 22 kindergartners in my class this year, 3 speak English, the rest have not learned it yet! This means that while giving a direction that seems simple such as "come" or "sit" or "walk" I get 19 students with bug-eyed blank stares back at me like I was speaking a foreign language....oh wait, I am! SO!
There came a point in the day where I broke down. I had a couple very challenging students, and while I was hoping (and trying to convince myself all morning) that I would be able to control these few, I realized that I couldn't "save" them from whatever was causing them to act out. With my limited Spanish, the directions that they understand do not come directly from me, so I can only expect so much from these little 5 year old bodies.
Imagine watching a 7 hour long foreign film with no subtitles...haha, the thought makes me laugh!! I would go CRAZY!!! That is probably what much of the school day was like for these poor kids! :)
I realized today that I have met my teaching match. I am not "good" enough to be teaching here, these kids, or anything. I think about how many parents I have that are trusting me to teach their children, and at the end of the day they want to hear how their child was....I can't even tell them! I am learning that God will be the only way that I will get through each day--He will be my patience, my peace, my understanding. He will be what makes this school year have a positive outcome for these kiddos. To Him be the glory.
From Rob's perspective: I sat at a desk all day reading SAT manual books, perfecting my organization skills, sweating, color coding a calendar, and more sweating. I missed a meeting, and found out that I have pink eye. Ha ha ha. All in all a better day than Meghan had. Well it all looks up from here.
Please keep us in your prayers! We will try add school pictures to this post soon!
This does connect to our first day of school...we promise....
7:00am--Meghan finds out that her teaching assistant has pink eye, and won't be able to help teach-not to worry-another assistant fills in!!!
8:00--School Starts! We met in the amphitheater with all of the students in the school K-12 for announcements, a quick skit, and prayer.
8:00-3:00--School Day! Written from Meghan's Perspective:
I felt like today humility was something that was prevalent throughout the day. I have 22 kindergartners in my class this year, 3 speak English, the rest have not learned it yet! This means that while giving a direction that seems simple such as "come" or "sit" or "walk" I get 19 students with bug-eyed blank stares back at me like I was speaking a foreign language....oh wait, I am! SO!
There came a point in the day where I broke down. I had a couple very challenging students, and while I was hoping (and trying to convince myself all morning) that I would be able to control these few, I realized that I couldn't "save" them from whatever was causing them to act out. With my limited Spanish, the directions that they understand do not come directly from me, so I can only expect so much from these little 5 year old bodies.
Imagine watching a 7 hour long foreign film with no subtitles...haha, the thought makes me laugh!! I would go CRAZY!!! That is probably what much of the school day was like for these poor kids! :)
I realized today that I have met my teaching match. I am not "good" enough to be teaching here, these kids, or anything. I think about how many parents I have that are trusting me to teach their children, and at the end of the day they want to hear how their child was....I can't even tell them! I am learning that God will be the only way that I will get through each day--He will be my patience, my peace, my understanding. He will be what makes this school year have a positive outcome for these kiddos. To Him be the glory.
From Rob's perspective: I sat at a desk all day reading SAT manual books, perfecting my organization skills, sweating, color coding a calendar, and more sweating. I missed a meeting, and found out that I have pink eye. Ha ha ha. All in all a better day than Meghan had. Well it all looks up from here.
Please keep us in your prayers! We will try add school pictures to this post soon!
You can do it! We love you both very much.
ReplyDelete"My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
ReplyDelete2 Corinthians 12:9
On man, Megs! That sounds CRAZY!!! It is good to see the second and third days went better though. Think how easy teaching in the USA will seem after this. :) I bet those kids love you!! Oh, and Rob, what is with all the sweating?? Haha.
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU GUYS!!!