Thursday, February 24, 2011

Catching Insect Fever

This past fall our Kindergarten Expedition was on Inventions. This spring we are studying Insects. I have to admit that I was NOT excited about starting this Expedition...not even a little bit. But this week I had to introduce the Expedition on Insects and start teaching on this topic during Science, so that we would have enough time for the unit to complete before Expedition Night. As I have been doing research online and looking at other classroom's Bug or Insect Units, I have been getting so excited about our Expedition! :) So excited that I want to share some of our fun activities from this week!
Students used play-doh to make models of insects.
Sammi couldn't have been more excited for his picture! By the time I said, "3," he was already off his chair, and running over to my camera to see himself. I have so many pictures of just a blur of him! :)


Today we made caterpillars out of egg cartons. The kids loved their sparkly pipe cleaners and crazy eyes!




If you come across any cool Dollar Store finds of cool insect stickers, plastic insect models, foam insects, insect books, etc. I am currently looking for ideas and ways to incorporate hands on learning through sorting, graphing, drawing insects, etc. Next week we will be going on an insect hunt around campus with our magnifying glasses! And as homework, students will be bringing in dead insects they have found. I hope to post more pictures of that at the end of next week! Thanks for reading our blog and supporting us with your prayers! :)

Mailing Address:
Rob and Meghan Ellis
Doulos Discovery School
Unit 3017-DDSDR
3170 Airmans Drive
Ft. Pierce, FL 34946

3 comments:

  1. hmm... I have taught a kindergarten summer school unit on insects the past few years - I will try and remember to check my binder and see if we do anything amazing. :)
    - Laura Karsjens (Ang's old roommate from the pre-Metcalf days)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Ellis I will bring along my toy "Cootie" to show the class when I see you next week!!
    Looking forward to meeting your class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura-so great to hear from you! I would love to hear of any ideas and projects you have done! Thank you so much!
    Mom-the kids can't wait to meet you and Dad. We have a count-down going with a paper chain! :)

    ReplyDelete